Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tebowing

The subject of Tim Tebow and the new verb “tebowing”-- kneeling on one knee, head bowed-- is getting a lot of media play. I have resisted blogging about it even though I considered doing so but, gosh, it came up at lunch recently with a friend and now I feel kind of compelled to say something. 

For those who haven’t been paying attention to Tim, throughout college and now in the pros, Tim makes public displays of his faith in various ways. He speaks of it when interviewed after a game. He's been seen praying during a game when on the sidelines and he offers thanks in a gesture of prayer after a big play. It is this kneeling in prayer that has been dubbed “tebowing.”  In college, he always had a verse of Scripture cited on the black tape under each eye which the curious could look up. [The tape is supposed to reduce glare.] 

If you have followed Tim’s rise to stardom, you know that hardly anyone but Tim thought he could make it in the pros.  He runs too much, they said, to be a successful pro QB.  He has an awkward throwing style when he passes--it will take him too long to deliver the ball in the pros and he’ll be crushed, they said.  And yet, when circumstances presented him with the opportunity to fill in for the Broncos’ injured quarterback, Tim began to lead his team to an impressive series of wins.  My lunch friend reminded me there were plenty of people in and out of sports who, not too secretly, hoped he’d fail as a pro. Even now, pundits are suggesting that this year is a flash in the pan and he’ll fade away. Since all this is unusual at least, maybe unprecedented in sports, we might want to ask “why.”

I think the answer to why all the attention and negative comments is: his displays of piety bugged them. When he has had a bad day, it has become common to jump on him.  Most recently and most dramatically Bill Maher of TV and standup fame tweeted an obscene remark including the "F" word about what Jesus had done to Tim when the team lost an important game. As an aside, please note that when Tim threw a pass resulting in an 80 yard touchdown to win a playoff game in overtime, Maher did not tweet anything about Tim and Jesus.

If you watch much professional sports, you have noticed that Tim is not the first player to make some sort of religious gesture when he/she does something noteworthy.  For years players have made the sign of the cross, looked up and lifted the forefinger of their right hand to the heavens, and even kneeled in the end zone and bowed their heads after a play. As another aside, a desperation pass into the end zone is even called a “Hail Mary pass.” My point is: gestures of faith aren’t new in sports. But, as well as I can remember, nobody has ever remarked on that to me and I don’t ever remember reading about it in the paper or hearing a media commentator say anything about it.  But comes Tim and his displays people are talking about it everywhere.  And the gesture of kneeling is popping up in other situations too.  What’s up?

Not that I’ve given it tons of thought, but I think there are a couple of things going on.  One, Tim has done this consistently throughout his college years and now and a pro.  Second, as quarterback, Tim is in on almost every big play, so the gesture is seen more often than the random player's praying.  Third, Tim always begins his media comments with something about his faith.  That means Tim’s gestures of faith have been seen and heard consistently, conspicuously, and often.  If we call these gestures and comments Tim’s witness, then I’m left to conclude lots of people don’t want know that much about Tim’s Jesus. Which raises another “why question.”

Some don’t like it because they think religion is a private thing; I’ll keep mine to myself, you do the same.  Others are people of no faith and/or actively reject belief, so they don’t want to see Tim display his--it’s unseemly at best, offensive at worst.  Others are OK with faith, but think sports, which seems to be populated with more that its fair share of thugs, and faith are antithetical to each other. So knock it off. I’m guessing there are other reasons too.

Gentle reader, though you may have to wait a long time, the next time you see someone bow at a restaurant meal and say grace ask yourself this: how do I feel?  Do you feel guilty that you didn’t?  Do you feel pleased to know people are willing to give thanks openly?  Do you think it’s a little too much; let’s just keep that at home where it belongs?  Do you think this happens way too infrequently? Something else? Your answer to this might help you understand how you feel about tebowing and why. 

Oh, one more thing: Paul said, “I am not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes...” [Romans 1:16 if you want to write this on those little black strips under your eyes.]
Peace, Jerry

3 comments:

  1. I too have wondered why Tebow's actions have caused so many negative reactions in a world where excessive violence and inappropriate public behavior not only don't merit a response, they often are celebrated. Very curious. And living just outside Denver, I can tell you that even here, people are split about his displays of faith. Bottom line for me is: live and let live. I would hope I am secure enough to let you kneel in public...but if you prefer not to, that is between you and God. While I might take the more private route, I do think Tebow is braver than those who criticize him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim is a devout man of faith and we need more like him in our world. He honors his Lord and as you have noted this is nothing new for him. I am not a Broncos fan but I can look beyond this and cheer for this brother in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one factor in the negative reactions might be that some people are uncomfortable with the possibility of a God who takes sides. If God was on Tebow's side last Sunday, did that mean He was against Roethlisberger? Are pro sports that important to God? I don't think God will mind too much if in this instance I put my faith in Aaron Rodgers.

    ReplyDelete