Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Different Discipline


Last posting I wrote about what may properly be called “Lenten disciplines.” The word “discipline” is not the most popular of words, seeming to connote punishment or deprivation of some kind.  However, that’s a narrow definition. Try this one: “Training expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behavior, especially training that produces moral or mental improvement.” [Free Online Dictionary]  Following that definition, our Lenten “spring cleaning” might take on a very different character.  We might focus on those aspects of our moral or mental lives that need improvement and develop our discipline to encourage that.  Something to think about?

Last posting I suggest several possible Lenten discipline. I’m going to suggest another possible discipline you might introduce into you life to augment them.  This discipline has to do with worship. I’m a long way from Anglo-Catholic in my worship practices, but I am more of a traditionalist than many others I see worshipping.  Here’s a short list of what I mean by that and then I’ll follow that with a rationale.
  • I make the sign of the cross during worship at a number of places in the liturgy, especially at the mention of the Trinity, before private prayer, and before and after receiving the Eucharist.
  • I bow toward the altar as I walk across the nave and as I enter and leave my pew.
  • As crosses pass me in procession, I bow.
  • As the Gospel is announced, I take my thumb and make the sign of the cross on my forehead, my lips and over my heart.  As I do this I say sub-vocally, “The Gospel in my mind, on my lips and in my heart.”
There are others, but these are the major “manual acts” I include in worship.  Why? I do them partly because they have a very long history in the worship practices of Christians. But, it’s not just they have a long history. The first three disciplines remind me of God’s greatness and love, and are a way to show respect and give thanks for the gifts of life, especially the gift of God’s son, Jesus. The fourth bullet point reminds me that the message of the Gospel is something to be heard, but also understood and to be acted upon in daily life. 

Engaging in these acts become another way in which I can involve myself in worship rather than just being a spectator.  After all, the word “liturgy” essentially means “the work of the people.” Using all my senses as well as my body in worship engages me more fully in the experience of this Holy Mystery.  I find it helps keep me anchored and focused and results in my leaving worship with a greater sense of awe and renewal.

Must you do any of these things to worship like an Episcopalian?  No, of course not.  But our worship heritage is a rich one. These practices entered our lives centuries ago to enrich our experience of communion with God as we worship. Additionally they offer a link to those saints who have gone before us as we follow the same disciplines they did.  Such an experience can give a whole new meaning to our creedal phrase “communion of the saints.”

Maybe you could consider adding some of these to your worship during the Sundays of Lent and see what happens.

Peace, Jerry  

No comments:

Post a Comment