Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Spreading the Word


The early followers of Jesus in Jerusalem and environs probably numbered around 100. I base this on the gospel story of Jesus sending out the 70 to preach and heal folks before his death and resurrection. The Twelve and some others stayed in Jerusalem until they were forced out by the Romans. There are some stories of some of the Twelve going to places such as Egypt, India and Spain, and no doubt some of them are true.
With Paul’s conversion experience about 35 AD, after a period of time, he began his journeys to spead the Word. Even so, we know from his letters that he was writing to Christians in some places he’d never been--so someone else must have taken the message of Jesus to those places. Looking at a map of where groups of Christians were by the end of the first century, it’s clear they are in many more places than Paul could have gone to establish communities.
What’s the point? The point is we tend to think “spreading the Word” is a task for the professionals, such as the Twelve or Paul--or clergy. But clearly, it wasn’t that way in the beginning. Spreading the word was something an untold number of individuals did when they traveled on business or other reasons, as soldiers moved about (although it was very hard to be a Christian soldier) or others who just felt compelled to share what they had learned and/or felt.
In my first pastoral assignment, right after the earth cooled, at a church in the country, one of the members came up to me to report that a new family had moved in down on Rocky Fork Road and it would be a good idea for me to visit them. I asked how she happened to know about this family and she replied, “I drive by the house they moved into going to work and coming home from work in Nashville every day.” I told her I thought my visiting would be a great thing to do, and I’d be sure to do it right after she visited and reported back to me.  She was shocked! I imagined she was thinking, “But that’s what we pay you for!” however, she was gracious enough to not say it. Or too dumbstruck to say it!
I thought I owed her an explanation. “When I show up at that house, they will know that I’m the hired professional and that it’s my job to visit them and invite them to worship with us. If they come because they like me and perhaps end up staying because they like me, what might they do when I leave? But if you visit them, they will quickly learn you’re a neighbor and you won’t soon be leaving the community as I will. If they come, it will be because you, a community member, showed interest in them. They’ll get to know you and when I leave, it won’t matter.”
She chewed it over for a bit, but she didn’t promise to visit before she turned and walked away. I wish I could remember if she ever did or if I ever visited the new family, but it’s been 45 years and some things just won’t come to the surface. I hope we both did, but....
There is always a danger in parishes that the people of the parish are more loyal to a given priest or deacon than they are to the welfare of the parish. The priest leaves and they soon wander off. To keep that from happening, each of us needs to be about spreading the word. There are lots of ways to do it, so I won’t insult you by making suggestions about the obvious ones. I do hope we each feel it is our personal responsibility to reach out, however. Where would we be today if others before us had failed to do so.
Peace, Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment