Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Good Enough


In a novel I’m writing, one of the characters describes herself by saying, “I’m a good enough Christian.” I know why I wrote it; over the years I’ve heard people say it. But, after I wrote it, I started thinking about what it actually means. If I say, “I’m a good enough tennis player,” what does that mean? Does it mean I’m good enough to play with players who are just learning the game or does it mean I wouldn’t embarrass myself in the club tournament? If I say, “I’m a good enough golfer,” does it mean I’m good enough to play with any amateur player or that I could hold my own with any of the tour’s top ten?

What if I say, “I’m a good enough spouse.” Does that mean since my spouse is not very demanding and pretty much has his/her own life anyway, I’ll be kept around? Or does it mean, if you’re looking for someone who is willing to listen and care about what’s going on in your life, and who’s willing to share in our parenting and other responsibilities, I’m good enough for that?

Which brings me to what does “good enough” Christian mean? Could it mean:
·      I pledge but I don’t tithe,
·      I go to worship most Sundays, unless something comes up,
·      I don’t volunteer for committees because I assume if they want me they’ll ask, plus, I’m pretty busy,
·      I don’t cheat on my taxes, (well no more than most people)
·      I rarely really curse and never take the Lord’s name in vain
·      I don’t go out of my way to hurt someone and I’d never murder anybody

I could go on, but you get my point. Or, does it mean something else? I’m opting for, “it means something else.” But, who knows? It’d just be my opinion.

Peace, Jerry

1 comment:

  1. I think you could develop your idea into an alternate version of the Ten Commandments. Ten Rules for being Good Enough.
    Susan Nelson

    ReplyDelete