Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Prayer: Part 1


I was asked by a regular reader to post on the topic of prayer, even more specifically on the “power of prayer.”  The concerns raised were “do we really believe we can change God’s minds about things?” and, “Is it right to pray for some people but not others?” Both are very interesting questions, and I think, complex. I agreed to take a crack at the topic but with this disclaimer: these are just my thoughts and beliefs. I have a couple of religious titles: ordained minister, theologian-in-residence, seminary professor, but none of these means I KNOW what I’m talking about. They mean I have an informed opinion, but not a lock on certainty.

It will take more than one post to even scratch the surface, hence this is Part 1. So, here we go.

Definitions of Prayer
Being the kind of thinker I am, I need to start with a definition of prayer. Alas, there isn’t one; there are many. Below are a few I developed from a variety of sources. This is not an exhaustive list of definitions, but I think a pretty representative one. As you can see, there is some overlap between them, but they are also different. I grouped them under some headings because that is also the kind of thinker I am.

Prayer As Relational
1. Prayer is an expression of our relationship with God. The assumption is that God is parent and we are children OR God is Lord and we are subjects. Hence, in prayer, we acknowledge God’s power and goodness and our own need and dependence.

2. Prayer is like talking to your best friend who loves you unconditionally. Genuine prayer is a deeply meaningful conversation between two people: God and you. When praying, sometimes you talk; sometimes you listen.

3. Prayer is the raising of one’s mind and heart to God. [Especially true of contemplative prayer, for example.]

Prayer As A Statement About the One Who Prays
4. Prayer is about changing the one who prays rather than an attempt to influence the One to whom one prays.

5. Prayer is an activity that is the proof that one has faith.

Prayer As Request
6. Prayer is an offering of our desires to God for things agreeable to God’s revealed will. (See also 1 above.)

7. If God is our loving parent, it is natural to ask for those things we need. (See also 1 above)

This topic is actually about the nature or value of prayer, but it also raises a question some ask about how to pray.

The Form of Prayer
8. Prayer should contain four aspects: adoration or worship of God; confession or our specific sins; thanksgiving or expressions of gratitude; and supplication or making of specific requests.

9. All of life is a prayer for the believer. No special words or actions are required. (See for example Brother Lawrence at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Lawrence. Here’s the relevant quotation: "Men invent means and methods of coming at God's love, they learn rules and set up devices to remind them of that love, and it seems like a world of trouble to bring oneself into the consciousness of God's presence. Yet it might be so simple. Is it not quicker and easier just to do our common business wholly for the love of him?") and, finally,

10. There are no rules to prayer.

As Christians, we are always interested in what Scripture says about topics. Here are a few representative samples from the New Testament.

The New Testament and Prayer

Here are a a few verses from the New Testament about prayer. There are many others. Additionally, there are verses throughout the Old and New Testaments about men and women who prayed, including Jesus, himself.

Matthew 6:8  Your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. (Jesus)

Matthew 7:7  Ask, and it will be given to you seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  (Jesus)

Mark 11:24  Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.  (Jesus)

John 14:13-14 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.  (Jesus)

Matthew 21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”  (Jesus)

Philippians 4:6  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God.  (Paul)

I Thessalonians 5:17   Continually be prayerful. (Paul)

That’s enough background. Next time I’ll address what seems to be the essential problem regarding prayer: why don’t all of our prayers get answered--or do they?. Again, we’ll see a range of answers to that question.  In the meantime,

Happy New Year!  Jerry

1 comment:

  1. I've always liked the idea that in addition to specifically "directing" a prayer to God, I can pray with my actions....being silent on a beautiful walk in the woods, listening to the ocean's roar, preparing a garden, etc. Maybe as thanksgiving? or as connecting with the rhythm of the universe...and God?

    ReplyDelete